- "Oh, not the CDA."
- —Mr. Waternoose
- "Careful, could be contaminated."
- —Anonymous CDA operative
The Child Detection Agency (or CDA for short) is a group of monsters who once worked to ensure that children were kept inside their doors and outside of the monster world.
The CDA deployed in full force when all of Monstropolis became aware of the incidents of Boo's invasion into the Monster World, and the Monsters, Inc. facility was thoroughly searched for evidence. Upon learning that Mike Wazowski and Sulley are the ones who have brought Boo in, Mr. Waternoose tried to have the CDA arrest Mike and Sulley so that he could take Boo and forcefully extract screams from her, but they ultimately turned on him and arrested him when they learned that Waternoose would kidnap thousands of children to satisfy his own agenda.
When Sulley discovered that laugh is more powerful than scream and children actually were not dangerous, the Child Detection Agency was replaced with the Comedy Detection Agency. Their job also changed to solving if a joke is funny or not.
Their uniforms are seen in multiple different sizes and correspond to the size of the monster. They are big yellow suits that have three red lights on their fronts, as well as an identification number. They wear metallic gloves and shoes, and have a large vacuum-like decontamination device on their backs. The location of each characteristic depends on the type of suit.
- Teddy Newton (US; Monsters, Inc. onwards)
- CDA 001 is revealed to be Roz toward the film's climax. She is also the only named CDA member so far.
- Their name (Child Detection Agency) may be a take on the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency).
- The CDA may also be the monsters' equivalent of the police.
- The signal for the CDA, 2319, may be a reference to the letters "W" and "S", which are the 23rd and 19th letters of the Latin alphabet. WS may stand for "white sock", a common threat to monsters, which can only be ridden by the CDA. W and S are also the initials of Mike and Sulley's last names (Wazowski and Sullivan).
- The organization bears many similarities to the real life CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), due to their uniform (hazmat suits) and the nature of their work.
- There are at least six different CDA body types.
- "We can neither confirm nor deny the presence of a human child."